SKILLED IN HELPING OTHERS WITH DEFINING AND ACHIEVING CAREER GOALS
◊ Career planning involves looking at your career destination and helping you get there by:
- Accessing career information from available databases, print and media resources, and introductions to professionals working in your desired field.
- Assisting with informational interviews, job-shadowing opportunities, and suggestions for obtaining internships.
- Exploring educational or training opportunities.
◊ Career interest assessment involves completing a survey to see just what your interests are, which includes:
- Use of assessment tools include the Strong Interest Inventory and the Myers Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI), which are made available by your ETC consultant.
- A review of your assessment results by a certified practitioner to discuss overall patterns regarding your primary interests in order to match these to specific careers.
- Comprehensive information on selected occupations through guided use of career database tools.
- Recommendations for follow-up strategies to confirm career or college major options.
View the links below to learn more about these tools.
Interest inventories can be tailored to college students, high school students, or adults with work experience. Your consultant can assist you in selecting the best one for you.
◊ Resume-writing assistance can include:
- A critique of your existing resume.
- Development of a new resume from scratch.
- Instruction on tips the pros use, so you can update on your own in the future.
- Teaching you the basics for writing cover letters, why they are important, and what to include.
◊ Job search skills services cover techniques and strategies that can effectively be used in your job search, with help provided in:
- Building and using a professional network.
- “Soft skills”, their important to employers, and how to develop and demonstrate them.
- Approaches and tactics to land that desired job opportunity.
- Guidance and practice in preparing for the interview.
◊ ◊ ◊
At all times your consultant will keep in mind your individual needs in the consultation process and sessions. Attention will be given for those with special needs, and to those both with and without career experience.